For as simple as this yum yum dessert is to fix, it’s amazingly good. You can choose the flavor by choosing the flavor of the instant pudding you use. OR, you can switch the ice cream flavor instead. I usually use vanilla pudding and vanilla ice cream, but I’ve switched chocolate ice cream for the vanilla, and I’ve used butterscotch pudding with the vanilla ice cream. You could try other flavors as well, especially if your family has other ice cream or pudding flavors that are their favorites.
I have two variations of this recipe, both given to me by great cooks! There’s not a lot of difference, but I will give you the options. All you need to make this yum yum dessert is instant pudding mix, milk, vanilla, and ice cream; for the crust you need Ritz crackers and butter. Cool whip for a topping is optional.
With the Ritz cracker crust, this yum yum dessert has a sweet and salty combination that makes a great dessert. When you’ve had this dish, you’ll understand why it is called “yum yum”!
- Recipe One: 2½ packages Ritz crackers and ¾ cup melted butter
- Recipe Two: 60 Ritz crackers and ½ cup melted butter
- Filling: 2 boxes (3.5 oz. ) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk (Recipe Two: 1½ cups milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (No vanilla in recipe Two)
- ½ gallon vanilla ice cream
- Cool whip (Recipe One)
- Mix cracker crumbs and butter together
- Press crumbs into bottom of 9 x 11 pan (save ½ cup for topping)
- Mix milk and vanilla with pudding.
- Add ice cream.
- Mix well and pour on top of crumbs
- Top with Cool Whip (optional)
- Top with reserved crumbs
- Freeze until ready to serve (unless you are serving by the next day).