Whether you call them deviled eggs, stuffed eggs, salad eggs, picnic eggs or pickled eggs, they’re still the same. Recipes for these are as varied as the persons who make them.
To make the whites of the eggs Easter or pastel colors, you simply peel the hard-boiled egg, cut the egg in half and remove the yolk. Store the yokes in a closed container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To color the eggs, choose the colors you want. More food coloring and more time in the water will make the eggs a brighter hue. You decide. Gel coloring goes a lot further than regular food coloring. It’s all I use anymore.
The ingredients for the dressing are approximate, so go ahead and come up with your own combination. Salad dressing, vinegar, sugar, paprika, mustard and paprika are all you will need to make this delicious recipe.In this photo, you’ll notice a few eggs with more than their share of Paprika. That’s because I grabbed the container of Paprika with large holes for shaking. Plus, a friend gave me several dozen of their brown eggs, and most of them were double-yolked, so there was plenty of yellow in the mix.
Safe Deviled Eggs
As always, when serving food with mayonnaise or salad dressing, remember that it should only be at room temperature for one to two hours. Sure, you can take them to a picnic; just be sure to keep the food in a cooler until it’s time to serve, and then return them to the cooler. I serve my eggs on a cold pack from Pampered Chef. You might want to check that out if you’re really into taking this dish to picnic suppers.
- 1 cup whipped salad dressing - do not use mayonnaise
- 1-2 Tbsp. mustard
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. Vinegar
- ⅔ tsp. Salt
- Paprika for garnish
- Put 1 dozen eggs into a kettle of boiling water. Let boil for 8 minutes. Remove from water and place under cold running water.
- Refrigerate until ready to use
- Peel eggs, slice in half and remove egg yolks.
- Mash egg yolks and add dressing.
- Put egg yolk mixture into egg white halves.
- Garnish with Paprika.
- To color egg whites: put 1 drop food coloring into ¾-1 cup water
- Let sit in the water for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep sides from touching and coloring evenly.
- Remove from water and drain on paper towel. Repeat directions above.