This homemade cheese sauce over vegetables is bound to be a hit – every time. For kids who don’t like vegetables, try serving a little of this over the vegetables or let them dip vegetables into the sauce.
It’s such an easy recipe to make, and it can be made a day or two ahead and then just heated when needed. Season the sauce with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and any other spices you’d like. I use a touch of onion powder, salt and pepper.
Begin by melting butter in a saucepan.
Slowly add the flour, stirring until it is smooth.
Add milk, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until the mixture thickens.
Add shredded cheese, stirring into the sauce. At this point, you can put the lid on the saucepan, remove it from heat, and allow the cheese to melt slowly.
Serve over broccoli or other vegetables.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Onion powder, optional
- Garlic powder, optional
- On medium heat, melt butter in a saucepan
- Add onion and/or garlic powder (optional)
- Add flour slowly, stirring until the mixture is smooth
- Add milk, ½ cup at a time, stirring each time until sauce thickens
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add shredded cheese, ½ cup at a time, stirring into mixture
- Continue stirring, OR remove from heat and put lid on saucepan until cheese melts
- Serve over vegetables or as a dip for steamed vegetables