Cabbage and Broccoli – good for our Bodies
Cabbage and broccoli are both healthy vegetables. They are good for our bowels and good for our bones. Both of them give us roughage as well as other benefits. Low-calorie vegetables rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, the combination is colorful and tasty. Eating these veggies is a win-win for us.
I’m not a fan of over-cooked cabbage and I’ve never, ever, been won over by sauerkraut, but I can make a meal out of cooked cabbage! With enough butter and seasoning, even a kid will enjoy the likes of this recipe.
Easy Start, Easy Go
For this dish, you need fresh broccoli and cabbage, some olive oil or butter, salt and pepper (I use sea salt) and any other seasonings such as garlic, onion, or herbs. Capitalize on the taste buds of your family, and you’ll be sure to have a dish that’s well-received.
Blanch the broccoli and cabbage for just a few minutes, rinse off with cold water to retain the brilliant colors, then add to a skillet with olive oil (or butter) and seasonings. Stir occasionally to keep the vegetables coated with your seasonings, and serve.
One of the secrets to this dish is to cut the vegetables small enough that it doesn’t take long for them to blanch and cook through. Plus, children will find it easier to chew and harder to dismiss one or the other vegetable if they’re so small that they can’t shove one piece to the side of the plate. That’s my two cents.
Tasty and True
This is another of those “toss, taste, and serve” dishes. Pile on the onions if you’re a fan. If you prefer garlic, saute some of that or add the powder if you have no garlic cloves in your house. Use onion powder if your kids won’t eat the likes of an onion. You can put a lid on this and steam it, but I like the crispness of having it done in a large skillet, stirring it occasionally.
Try other veggies such as carrots or cauliflower if they’re begging to be used from your vegetable drawer. Carrots will give the dish more color. If you’re into finding an easy way to serve nutritious, low-calorie vegetables, this is it. It’s one of those “what vegetable could I fix in the next 10-15 minutes?” dishes.
Cabbage and Broccoli
- 1/2 a head of cabbage sliced thinly or shredded
- 2 cups broccoli rinsed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2-4 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 or more cloves garlic crushed OR garlic powder
- 1/2 onion chopped finely OR onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boiling hot water - enough to cover vegetables
- Clean cabbage and broccoli
- Cut cabbage into thin strips or shred
- Cut broccoli into small, bite-sized pieces
- Put vegetables into boiling water and blanch for a 2-3 minutes
- Drain vegetables and run cold water over them
- Saute cloves and onion in butter or olive oil.
- Add broccoli and cabbage. (You can add a Tbsp or 2 of water and cover for a bit)
- Add seasonings
- Stir fry a few minutes until tender
- Serve as a side dish