Kale for the holidays
If you like kale, you will love this kale salad. If you don’t like kale, you can always substitute spinach for kale. And, if you don’t like kale or spinach, then it’s sad. I’m sure you could substitute lettuce but it won’t be the same. So you could keep trying and learn to like kale!
I claim no credit for this recipe, but my daughter-in-law Katie graciously shared her recipe with me when she made it for us over the Thanksgiving holiday. We agree that this is a great holiday (or anytime) salad. The pomegranates with the dark kale give an appearance of a holly tree. Not only is it dainty and festive, it’s delicious as well.
You can choose what nuts you want in the mixture. Don’t use peanuts, because that will really change the flavor and texture. Make your own combination of almonds, cashews, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts. You don’t have to include all of them, but use at least two or three. Put them in a food blender and mix them together. Don’t grind them to a powder; you want them to have some “chop” texture to them.
Kale is a great vegetable to give you plenty of vitamins and minerals. Try these for size: excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese, and copper; a very good source of vitamin B6, fiber, calcium, potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin B2; and a good source of iron, magnesium vitamin B1, omega-3 fats, phosphorus, protein, folate, and vitamin B3. You can click here for more health benefits.
The recipe for kale salad
Holiday Kale Salad
- 8 cups kale - 2 bunches washed, drained, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 - 1 cup pomegranates
- 1 1/2 cups nutmeat - almonds cashews, pistachios, pecans, and walnuts. NO peanuts.
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of one lemon OR 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt or regular salt
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- Wash kale. Remove the vein.
- Cut kale into bite-sized pieces
- Chop garlic clove in food chopper/blender and add to nuts after mixing them.
- Put nuts into food chopper/blender and make into a chopped mixture, NOT powder
- Mix nutritional yeast with nuts (and garlic clove) and olive oil
- Add nutmeat mixture and pomegranates to kale
- Toss together well.
- Mix together ingredients for dressing
- Massage the leaves to get the dressing mixed through
- Pour over salad and refrigerate for 4 hours
If you want to learn more about kale, you can go to this link provided to me by the Editor at Happy DIY Home.
This recipe is a re-post from five years ago.