Surprise cupcakes have been around since I was a child, but I usually let somebody else make them. I do, however, like this tried-and-true recipe. Kids always enjoy these cupcakes. The boy who is living in my house likes it, too.
You can have these out of the oven in under an hour. Mix up the chocolate part and then mix up the “surprise” cream cheese filling. The recipe calls for chocolate chips but they are optional if you’d rather have less chocolate in these cupcakes.
Some recipes call for frosting, but you don’t need frosting with these. If you want to make the filling a complete surprise, then fill the muffin cups half full, add the filling and push it down, then top with more batter.
These cupcakes store well; you can also freeze them if you’d like.
The recipe for surprise cupcakes
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda)
- Add oil, vinegar, vanilla and water (the batter is very thin and runny)
- Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 - 2/3 full
- Mix cream cheese, egg, sugar, and salt together until fluffy
- Add chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture
- Put 1 teaspoon on top of each cupcake
- You can add more chocolate batter on top or leave it like it is
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes