The back story.
My friend Susan shared this recipe for white chicken chili in a local cooking and recipe group, and I begged for the recipe. It’s so simple to make, and can be ready in under thirty minutes or less, easy peasy.
You can switch up the seasonings, depending on your palate. In my house, believe me, I had to go light on the seasonings. That’s because the older Dave gets, the less spicy he wants his food. 🙂 But if you like spicy, you might want to add more for this white chicken chili. I’ll give you what I did and what the recipe truly calls for, and you can decide.
You’ll need cooked chicken. You can use canned chicken, rotisserie chicken, left-over baked chicken, or left-over grilled chicken.
You will also need butter, onions, garlic clove, diced green chilies, cumin and cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, oregano, and sour cream and milk.
If you want a richer soup, use cream or whole milk. If you’re trying to keep calories lower, use 2% milk and low-fat sour cream.
The recipe for White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 cans great northern beans
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 4 cans green chilis I used ONE
- 2 lbs. chicken cooked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt you can use more but if your chicken and broth has salt, there's no need
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper I used 1/4
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin I used 1 teaspoon
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Melt butter
- Sauté chopped onion and garlic until soft
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT sour cream and milk
- Stir and Simmer for ten minutes
- Add sour cream and milk
- Heat through until warm; DO NOT BOIL.