Easy potato dish
This potato casserole can be made ahead of time and served on a different day. This makes for an easy meal when you have other last-minute preparations you will need to do.
Cook your potatoes and then cool. Peel and shred or dice the potatoes. Mix all the other ingredients together and add to the potatoes. If you have left-over potatoes in your fridge (such as baked potatoes or jacket potatoes) you can use them up with this recipe. Just peel the potatoes and follow the directions in the recipe.
For the topping, the recipe calls for cornflakes, but you can use Ritz crackers instead of just skip the topping. You can increase the amount or decrease it. You choose by what your family prefers.
What I like about this potato casserole dish is that it can be made a day ahead or earlier in the day. This way, you’re able to focus on other things instead of assembling ingredients so close to the time of the meal.
The potato casserole recipe
- 6 medium-large potatoes
- Sour cream - 1 cup
- Cream of chicken soup - one can
- Shredded cheddar cheese - 1- 1/2 cups
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- Garlic powder - to taste
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 cup corn flakes crushed OR Ritz crackers
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted
- Wash potatoes
- Cook until almost tender
- Peel potatoes and shred OR cut into chunks
- Mix other ingredients together
- Combine with the potatoes
- Put into casserole dish
- Top with cornflake/butter mixture
- Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes
Photo credit: Rae Slabach