This breakfast bake is a perfect dish for any guests or any time. Whether you’re having guests overnight and need to serve them breakfast, or whether you’re needing a nice dish for a brunch, this is an easy recipe to use. Although the recipe calls for ham, I use bacon frequently and have also added some sausage. On this particular day, I used bacon and sausage. (I added the sausage because I had some leftover from a few days before, and it was a good way to add some spice to the dish and use up the sausage.)
How to put it together
Begin by sautéing green onions, sliced mushrooms, and red peppers. Add your ham or bacon or sausage (or any combination of the three). Place cheese in the bottom of your casserole dish, add your sauteed ingredients, then add eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator thirty minutes before putting in the oven. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
For this dish, I combined bacon with some hot seasoned sausage. The dish received many compliments at a recent family reunion. Even folks who don’t like foods seasoned “hot” enjoyed this dish.
This original recipe comes from one of the Taste of Home magazines. Find more great recipes at www.tasteofhome.com.
Ham and Cheese Bake
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms sliced
- 6 green onions sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter OR margarine
- 1¾ cups cubed fully cooked ham or bacon or sausage
- ¼ cup flour
- 1¾ cups milk
- 8 eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine the cheeses
- Sprinkle into a greased 13”x9”x2” baking dish.
- Sauté mushrooms, onions, and red pepper in butter; stir in ham (or bacon or sausage, or any combination)
- Spoon over cheese.
- Combine the flour, eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving.