It’s an easy addition because it can be prepared a day or two ahead and then baked when the big day arrives. Cooked sweet potatoes spruced up nutmeg and other additions make this an easy entree to a holiday meal.
Sometimes I cook and peel the potatoes days ahead (3-5 days). Just store them in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator. When I’m ready to put the dish together, I heat the potatoes a little and add the rest of the ingredients. It’s a good way to make hosting a little easier.
In addition to peeled and cooked sweet potatoes, you will need butter, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg.
Instead of the crumb topping, you can sprinkle miniature marshmallows over casserole about 5 min. before oven time is up.
I don’t use pecans in the topping; my family doesn’t care for them, but your family might!
- 6 med. sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (3-4 cups)
- ½ cup milk (OR ¼ cup milk and ¼ cup orange juice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Topping: ⅓ cup butter, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup flour, ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Mix all ingredients together and put into baking dish
- For topping, mix all topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle on top of potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees until hot through - about 45 minutes if potatoes were cold when put in the oven; OR for 25 min. if they were hot.