A “sweet” potato dish.
This sweet potato bake is a great addition to a spring or Easter meal. My family especially enjoys this dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it works great anytime. If you want something festive for an occasion, try this dish. You can make it ahead of time and bake it the day you’re serving guests. Cooked sweet potatoes spruced up with nutmeg and other additions make this an easy entree to any meal.
Sometimes I cook and peel the potatoes days ahead (3-5 days). Just store them in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator. When I’m ready to put the dish together, I heat the potatoes a little and add the rest of the ingredients. It’s a good way to make hosting a little easier.
In addition to peeled and cooked sweet potatoes, you will need butter, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg.
Instead of the crumb topping, you can sprinkle miniature marshmallows over the casserole about 5 min. before oven time is up. Some folks prefer that over the crumb topping, but you get to choose.
I don’t use pecans in the topping; my family doesn’t care for them, but your family might! I often decrease the sugar in this recipe (especially the topping) because I think sweet potatoes are sweet enough. You get to decide. You know what your family likes and what their dietary needs are, so have at it!
Sweet Potato Bake
- 6 med. sweet potatoes cooked and mashed (3-4 cups)
- ½ cup milk OR ¼ cup milk and ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Topping: 1/3 cup butter ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup flour, ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Mix all ingredients together and put into baking dish
- For topping, mix all topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle on top of potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees until hot through - about 45 minutes if potatoes were cold when put in the oven; OR for 25 min. if they were hot.