Fry them slowly.
This dish is a variation of the Dutch Fried Potatoes I often make. I like to make these potatoes when I’ve been busy and have not taken time to prepare food ahead of time. With this recipe, I don’t need to cook and peel the potatoes ahead of time. Sometimes I peel them and keep them cold in water in the refrigerator to save on time later.
The key to these potatoes turning out well is three-fold. 1. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. 2. Use a hearty potato – such as russet potatoes. 3. Use plenty of liquid to keep them from sticking, but not too much to make them greasy or soggy (butter, bacon grease, water – any combination).
I’ve made these using bacon grease and with real butter. I prefer the butter, but some folks prefer the bacon flavor. Or, you can do a combination of both! Another option is to use a little bit of bacon or butter and added water to help steam the potatoes as they cook.
How to do these slow-fried potatoes
You’ll need one small to medium potato per person, chopped onion (I use 1/4 onion per person, but you choose), and salt and pepper or any other seasoning. A cast iron skillet really does work the best with your butter or bacon grease. You’ll want a lid for the skillet.
Peel your potatoes and dice them, chop the onion, and heat your butter/bacon grease in the skillet, then turn it to low. Add your ingredients and do a slow simmer-fry. In the meantime, you have time to prepare the rest of your meal. Turn the potatoes several times throughout the thirty minutes, and put the lid back on the skillet. These potatoes come out tender, tasty, and terrific!
- Russet potato - or other sturdy potatoes - 1 small/medium potato per adult
- Onion - ¼ onion per person - more or less, of course
- Butter - ¼ cup OR bacon grease
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel potatoes and onion
- Chop onion into tiny wedges
- Cut potato into small cubes
- Melt butter or bacon grease in cast iron skillet
- Turn burner to low
- Add potatoes, onion, and seasonings
- Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Stir or turn potatoes over and cover
- Continue cooking potatoes on low until done