Sausage balls can be a festive treat after any occasion. This recipe is easy to make ahead of time. You can freeze the balls after baking then, and they will be ready to serve. All you need to do is re-heat them in the microwave.
When you need an appetizer, a quick pick-me-upper or a snack for wintry evenings, this one will be a hit. It’s simple to mix and kids will enjoy helping roll the sausage balls.
For the shredded cheddar cheese, be sure to buy block cheddar and shred your own.
The extra ingredients in the store-bought shredded cheddar cheese make it difficult for the mixture to mix well, and it will take more baking mix. For the dip, I substitute Greek Yogurt for the Mayonaise.
- 1 pound ground sausage - mild, medium or hot - depending on your preference
- 1½ cups baking mix
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ⅛ Tablespoon pepper
- For dip: 1 cup Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise) and ¼ cup Dijon mustard. I use Honey Dijon Mustard.
- Mix all ingredients together well. You can use a mixer to do this. I use my Bosch.
- Shape into balls (I make mine about 1 inch in diameter) then roll in your hands until they are smooth and round
- Place on ungreased baking sheet
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until done.
- Halfway through baking, turn the balls over so they are evenly browned.
- Cool, then serve or put into the freezer for later use.
- To serve after freezing, bring to room temperature, then warm in the microwave.
- Serve with your choice of dip. For the dip, mix ingredients together and serve.