For this dish, you can switch up the herbs as much as you want. You know what your family likes, so have at it!
You’ll need rosemary, basil, and thyme. Add an onion, some minced garlic, olive oil, and salt – and you’re all set. Don’t forget the potatoes! Russet works best for this recipe.
The How to
By cooking the potatoes first and allowing them to cool before baking them, you’ll had a crisper texture. It also makes it easier to do this in steps. Onions (chopped) and garlic (minced) enhance flavor without overpowering. The gentle addition of herbs provide a delightful flavor to your palate.
- 4 russet potatoes
- Olive oil - about 3 Tablespoons
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon pepper - or more
- ½ teaspoon basil (dried)
- ½ teaspoon rosemary (dried or fresh)
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves (dried)
- Wash the potatoes well
- Do not peel!
- Cut into 1 inch chunks OR into long strips of ½ - 1 inch width
- Put potatoes into microwave dish
- Add ½ cup water (it might take more if you are using strips of potatoes because the potatoes take more space in the container)
- Cover container but leave one corner vented
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. The potatoes do NOT need to be cooked through
- Drain potatoes completely
- Spread potatoes on a flat tray/cookie sheet and allow to cool and dry
- Chop onions and mince garlic
- Preheat oven to 400
- Put potatoes, onions, garlic, and seasonings on the tray
- Sprinkle with olive oil
- Mix everything together, tossing lightly on the tray
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are beginning to brown or get crispy on the outside
- Stir potatoes ONCE during the roasting