When time is short, this rice-vegetable medley is an easy fix for dinner. I’ve discovered that children who won’t eat the likes of carrots or peas end up liking this dish, especially if they like rice.
Carrots and peas add color to the white of rice. I suggest you use rice that only needs to cook for twenty minutes, or wait to add the vegetables until near the end of cooking for rice that needs more time.
Using chicken broth adds flavor as well. The carrots can be shredded, sliced thinly, or julienned for this recipe. If you prefer more vegetables than rice, then adust the recipe accordingly.
I’ve used this recipe as a side dish for fish, but it works well with any entree. If you’re serving beef, use beef broth to cook your rice. If you have no broth, then water will do.
Rice Vegetable Medley
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups broth - chicken or beef
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 - 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots julienned or sliced works well also, but increase the amount
- Put broth OR water into a kettle
- Add salt, rice, peas, and carrots
- Bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer 15-20 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Flake with a fork and add buttter, stirring just until it is melted