Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats are a favorite of kids. The thing that’s fun about this recipe is that you can make it seasonal. Sprinkle red and green, red or pink valentines, or shamrocks in with the mixture and you’ve got an instant seasonal dessert. When you’ve got Rice Krispie cereal or marshmallows in abundance, use them up in this recipe.
It’s best to use fresh marshmallows, but I confess I’ve pulled some out of the freezer to make this recipe. You can use miniature marshmallows or regular-sized ones. I don’t recommend using jumbo marshmallows because it will take a long time to melt them down. Do not use reduced-calorie margarine either. I always use butter.
You can also make these in the microwave. The recipe is simple. Melt the butter and marshmallows on low heat and, when the mixture is dissolved, add the cereal and your sprinkles. You can completely mix the cereal with your seasonal sprinkles, or just sprinkle on top once the mixture is in the pan.
Press your sprinkles into the top just a little so they will adhere to the rice krispies and not fall off.
When the cereal and marshmallows are completely mixed, turn it out onto a 9 x 13 pan that has been greased with butter or Pam. Press the mixture into the pan. You can spray some Pam on your hands or rub butter on them to help keep the cereal from sticking to your hands.
After the mixture is cooled, cut into shapes or squares.
Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 package - 10 oz. or about 40 regular sized marshmallows OR 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 Tablespoons butter OR margarine
- Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat in large saucepan.
- Stir until completely dissolved.
- Keep stirring, using those muscles!
- Remove from heat and add to the cereal with or without sprinkles
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutters OR into 2-inch squares
- MICROWAVE: Microwave butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 2 min.
- Stir to combine.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute longer.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add cereal.
- Continue instructions from above.