Red hots flavor!
My neighbor Carol has many dishes she makes. She’s one of those people who, when asked to bring one dish to an event, shows up with four or five dishes. She showed up at a meal the other week with several dishes, and this red hots jello was one of them.
You’ll never know there is lemon jello in this dish because you never taste the lemon. What you taste is apples and red hots jello! It’s an easy dish to make, and Carol graciously shared her recipe with me.
Getting the red hots melted can be a little tricky. Patience wins on this one. Keep stirring and heating in the microwave until all those bits are dissolved. I use my sugar-free, homemade applesauce in this recipe, but you can use whatever you have on hand. You can also use sugar-free jello, especially if your applesauce has sugar in it. You can serve this in a large bowl or put it into individual containers for easy one-dish servings.
Here is the recipe.
- 2 (3 oz.) boxes lemon jello
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ cup red hots
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 cups applesauce
- Mix jello with boiling water and stir until dissolved
- Add cold water
- Dissolve red hots in hot water, stirring and heating until dissolved
- Add applesauce to the jello mixture
- Add red hot mixture to all
- Place into glass serving bowl or individual containers
- Chill until set