Despite the fact that this recipe is inside a plastic protector, the page that I clipped out of a magazine years ago is so yellowed and splattered that it’s hard to read. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, this recipe is made and served at events in which our family participates. I always mix up two and freeze one for later use. Our oldest thinks it’s not Thanksgiving unless his mama makes this.
This recipe makes one pumpkin cake roll. I always mix up two and freeze one for later use. Our oldest thinks it’s not Thanksgiving unless his mama makes this.
I’ve used this recipe to make smaller pumpkin cake rolls and given them as gifts during the holiday season or for teacher appreciation week. You can use fresh or canned pumpkin to make this. The cake keeps well in the refrigerator for several days.
After the cake is baked, dust some linen towels with confectioner’s sugar and roll the cake up in the towels. This helps powder the cakes and shape them into the rolls you will want.
When cooled, cover the rolls with the cream cheese filling, then roll them up again.
Refrigerate. When ready to serve, slice the roll.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup pumpkin
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- FILLING: 1 cup confectioners sugar, 6 oz. cream cheese, 4 Tbsp. butter, ½ tsp. vanilla
- Beat eggs at high speed for 5 minutes.
- Beat in sugar until well blended.
- Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.
- Combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt; fold into pumpkin mixture.
- Spread in greased and floured 15 x 10 x 1-in. jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and turn out on clean linen towel liberally dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
- Starting at narrow end, roll towel and cake together; cool.
- Make filling by combining ingredients and mixing until smooth
- Unroll cooled cake; spread with filling to within 1 in. of edges.
- Roll back up and chill. Dust with additional confectioners’’ sugar before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. Your purchase through an affiliate link brings no additional charge to you. I may receive compensation from purchases made through links on My Windowsill. To learn more about affiliate links, you can click here.