Our family and church friends spent a delightful Sunday in the home of our friend Anna, whose mother is Belizian. Anna’s parents live in Belize but have been visiting in the states for several months.
This is a unique way to make a slaw and, if you like Belizian flavor, you’ll like this. The recipe is simple and easy. You’ll need cabbage, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
Without the cabbage, you can serve the recipe as a salsa.
By using several avocados, you can make a simple Guacamole. Mash the avocados, add the Pico de Gallo, then add salt to taste.
This recipe comes from the Belizian cookbook called Savor Belize. The recipe is from the kitchen of Mrs. Zonya Salas.
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lime Juice
- Dash of Olive Oil, optional
- Chopped or shredded cabbage (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together
- Use as a Salsa OR add chopped or shredded cabbage for a slaw.
- For simple Guacamole: mash a couple of avocadoes, add Pico de Gallo, then add salt to taste.