Oven baked chicken – whether it’s wings, thighs, or drumsticks – is an easy and simple meal. Oven baked rice or stove-top rice, parsley potatoes or jacket potatoes are an easy addition to this. Add a salad or another vegetable, and you’re set to go.
You can add your own seasonings for this recipe and make it as hot or mild as you prefer. The original recipe calls for red-hot pepper flakes, but I use them sparingly because Dave doesn’t like “hot” food. I know red hot pepper flakes aren’t really that hot, but he is not convinced.
Mix your spices together until they are well-mixed. Then sprinkle the spice mixture onto the chicken pieces. Add a touch of vegetable oil and mix it all together. If you prefer, use the vegetable oil first, but I think it’s easier to get the spices mixed into the chicken before you add the oil. It’s your choice.
Then bake in an oven until done. I’m sure you could use leg quarters or even chicken breasts for this dish. But there’s something about the smaller pieces of meat that helps the seasoning sink into the meat that makes it extra tasty, I think.
When you put the chicken pieces into a pan or on flat tray, place them so they are not touching. This helps the juices flow freely from the chicken. It’s also easier to turn the pieces half-way through baking if they’re not smooshed against each other!
This recipe for oven bake chicken is kid-friendly. One evening when I served this dish, I had two neighbor boys who dropped in — and invited themselves to stay! Both boys are from different ethnicities, and I wasn’t sure what they’d think about my menu – but they loved it.
I’m sure your family will like it, too.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs, Drumsticks, or Wings
- 2 lbs. chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks, or wings)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Mix spice ingredients together
- Put chicken pieces into a bowl
- Add spices to the chicken and mix together
- Add vegetable oil and stir until oil, chicken pieces, and spices are well-mixed
- Place chicken pieces on a tray or in a flat pan. Leave space between the pieces so the juices can flow out easily.
- Bake at 425 (can be 400 if you are using wings) for 40-45 minutes, until done
- Turn the chicken half-way through the baking.