I grew up with this kidney bean salad; it was especially refreshing in the summer, but it works well as a winter salad as well. For this recipe, you’ll need kidney beans, onions, celery,vinegar, sugar, and a mayonnaise-based dressing. Mix it up a few hours or a day before to allow the flavor to seep through the beans. Be sure to drain the kidney beans as the recipe suggests!
This recipe can also be found in the Mennonite Community Cookbook.
- 2½ cups canned kidney beans, drained
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 2 hard=boiled eggs
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- ¼ cup salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp. cream
- Drain beans
- Chop eggs, celery and onion and combine
- Add drained beans
- Mix all ingredients but salad dressing and cream together together and chill
- Add cream to salad dressing,and blend together with other ingredients.