I surprised myself on this one, because I cannot abide the flavor of coconut. Guess what. This recipe has coconut oil and unsweetened coconut in it, and I can’t taste the coconut at all. My daughter-in-law Katie came up with this healthy granola recipe and gladly shared it with me.
This healthy granola is a hearty, healthy, and happy dish. It’s easy to mix up and make. Store it in a container with a lid. You choose which dried fruits you will use – or do a combination of several. Use unsweetened coconut. I prefer coconut chips, but you can use flakes as well.
The recipe calls for melting the coconut oil and honey on top of the stove, but you can do it in a microwave, too. Mix your wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, and bake. Twenty-four minutes in the oven, and you’re done. Stir it half-way through baking. This recipe keeps for weeks and is great served as a topping on a variety of foods. My favorite is on top of Greek yogurt, but you can use it as a cereal or on top of other cereals. Use it as a snack as well. Guaranteed to satisfy.
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup sliced almond
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup pepitas
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 1 cup dried fruit (cherries, blueberries, cranberries or combination)
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ - ½ cup honey (more or less if you like it more or less sweet)
- pinch of salt
- Mix dry ingredients together well
- On stovetop, heat coconut oil and honey with salt until melted
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together
- Spread on baking sheet and bake at 350 for 24 minutes - stir once after 12 minutes
- Bake until golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet
- Store in airtight container