Homemade French Bread
What better bread to serve with spaghetti, lasagna or fettuccine than some homemade French bread?! Always a family favorite, this recipe was usually the request of our oldest when he chose his menu for his birthday supper. I’ve used this bread to make garlic bread.
I’ve made it so often that I don’t need the recipe, and I’m happy to share it with you. You’ll just need the normal bread ingredients, including yeast, sugar, water, salt, flour, and Crisco or vegetable oil.
This bread can be rolled out using a rolling pin, or you can just pat it out into a rectangle. Roll the bread up, beginning at the wide end, and place the seam side down on the tray. Using a serrated knife, put diagonal slices part-way in the bread.
The recipe calls for an egg and milk glaze; I just use milk. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
For garlic bread, slice the bread lengthwise (after it is baked) and butter, then sprinkle garlic powder over the top. Broil in oven until lightly browned. OR you can slice it into regular slices and butter one side, then wrap in tin foil and heat through in an oven.
Now that we are part-time empty-nesters, I am able to freeze one of the loaves when I make this recipe. Sometimes I fix the second one for garlic bread and put it in the freezer so it is ready for the next time.
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. veg. oil or Crisco, melted
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 Tbsp. yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 7 cups bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water with 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Combine Veg. oil, sugar, and salt with hot water
- Combine the two mixtures
- Add 7 cups flour
- Knead on floured board until the dough is elastic, or use your dough hook on the mixer to knead the dough.
- Put into greased bowl, turning so the dough is coated. Let rise until double.
- Punch down and let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll out into a rectangular shape, then roll up jelly-roll style.
- Put on greased cookie tray. Cut diagonal slices on top of the bread.
- Brush with milk, OR use 1 beaten egg mixed with 2 Tbsp. milk.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top
- Let rise until double
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. This recipe makes 2 loaves.