Strawberry season is here. That means summer is just around the corner. It’s time to make that strawberry pie!
We picked up some freshly-picked strawberries last evening. The pie is ready to be served tonight.
The recipe I use comes from Mennonite Country-Style Recipes & Kitchen Secrets, compiled by Esther H. Shank and published by Herald Press, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. You can use this recipe for any kind of fresh fruit pie.
Strawberries, sugar, jello (sugar-free or regular, you choose), Clearjel or cornstarch, and light corn syrup are the filling ingredients. You begin with a baked pie crust or a graham cracker crust and top it with cool whip or whipped cream.
- 1 cup water
- ½ - 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch OR Clearjel
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup (if you're using cornstarch)
- 3 Tbsp. strawberry jello - (change the flavor to match the fruit you're using)
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
- 9-inch pie crust or graham cracker crust
- Combine water, sugar, cornstarch (or Clear Jel), and corn syrup into a kettle.
- Cook until it becomes clear and thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add Jello.
- Stir until jello is dissolved
- Cool until mixture begins to congeal.
- Add strawberries to mixture.
- Pour into pie shell
- Serve with whipped cream or cool whip topping