One dish sheet pan fajitas.
Our daughter-in-law Katie fixed these Sheet Pan Fajitas for Dave and me one evening when I was recuperating from surgery. While I napped and Dave was out working, she whipped this up while keeping an eye out for her two kiddos. She calls this her “go-to-meal”.
It’s especially a great dish for folks who struggle with allergies. It’s gluten-free and if you use fresh vegetables, you don’t need to be concerned about preservatives added to the vegetables.
What to include
One neat thing about sheet pan fajitas is that you can use whatever meat or vegetables you have on hand. Use vegetables of different colors to make an eye-pleasing dish for your table.
You can use chicken, beef, sausage, or shrimp. Slice your chicken, steak, or sausage into thin strips. Add peppers, red onion, squash (zucchini or mushrooms). Toss your food ingredients with avocado or vegetable oil, and season.
Katie prefers red, orange, and yellow peppers sliced into strips. These are not as strong as green peppers – plus, they are more tender and will bake easily.
Use a red onion sliced into strips if you have one. If not, use a yellow onion.
You choose the seasonings based on what your family likes. Katie uses these ingredients: salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
You add the amount of seasonings and the type that you want to make these sheet pan fajitas.
Finishing it up
Roast meat and vegetables in the oven at 350 for thirty minutes or until tender.
You can serve this over rice or as a tortilla wrap. Add sour cream as a topping to the meat and veggies over the rice. You can also add avocado, radishes, or cilantro on top. Choose your toppings based on what your family likes.
This one-dish oven meal can be ready in under an hour – and is so easy to make. Enjoy!
Sheet Pan Fajitas
- 1 cookie sheet
- 1 tbsp vegetable or avocado oil
- 1 of each red, yellow, orange peppers
- 1 lb chicken, steak, shrimp or sausage
- 1 or 2 of each squash, zucchini, or other vegetables of your choice
- seasonings salt, pepper, onion or garlic powder, cumin, paprika, onion or garlic powder, oregano (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream - to serve as dollops if desired
- 1/2 cup rice per person fixed according to directions
- 1 per person tortilla
- Slice beef OR chicken OR pork into thin strips
- Clean and slice vegetables
- Add seasonings of your choice
- Sprinkle olive or avocado oil over all
- Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes or until done
- Serve over rice or in tortillas
- Serve sour cream if serving over rice
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top (optional)
Credits for this recipe and the photos belong to Katie Slabach. These photos are of steak, but you can use chicken, shrimp, or pork as well.