This dish evolved over the years and I can’t tell you where I got it from originally. I like this recipe because it goes well with any type of chicken: leg quarters, breasts, thighs, drumsticks, or nugget-sized pieces. Bone-in or boneless works for me.
Melt some butter in the bottom of the casserole dish you will be using – and the size of your dish will depend on how large a crowd you’re feeding. Likewise, the amount of butter will vary depending on how much you need to cover the bottom of the pan.
While the butter is melting, get your chicken ready. You can remove the skin or leave it on. If you’re using boneless chicken, slice it into the sizes you want. If I’m feeding kids, I use smaller nugget-sized pieces. If I’m serving adults, I slice the breasts long and thin, like the ones in the center of this photo:
Then, mix up your flour and seasonings. You’ll need flour, salt and pepper, paprika, and onion and garlic powder (optional).
Dip the chicken pieces in the flour, turning to cover; then place in the melted butter, also turning the chicken to cover it.
Put into a 400-degree oven and bake for one hour, turning half-way through baking. If you want to do this ahead, you can bake it for 40 minutes and then refrigerate. A day or two later just put your pan back into the oven and finish the 20 minutes baking time. The photo below shows the chicken slices about ten minutes into baking.
For this dish, I enjoy fixing baked sweet potatoes or baked sweet potato slices, which can be baked along with the chicken.
Once your chicken is in the oven, you can finish the rest of your meal and set your table. Sixty minutes after starting, you’re ready to serve a scrumptious meal.
Here’s the recipe.
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced thin (or leg quarters or chicken thighs)
- ½ cup butter
- Optional: onion and/or garlic powder - 1 Tbsp. of each
- If using chicken breasts, cut into thin slices or bite-sized pieces
- Melt butter in casserole dish
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, paprika and (optional) onion and garlic powder
- Dip chicken pieces into flour mixture, covering all sides
- Place chicken pieces into melted butter and turn, coating
- Bake at 400 for 60 minutes or until done, turning half-way through.