Butterhorns – taste the difference of homemade.
These easy homemade butterhorn rolls are a delight to serve. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them. Place the butterhorns on a tray about three hours before you want to serve them, and let them rise as they thaw. I got this recipe from my sister Loretta years ago, and sometimes I only make half a batch. Most times, I make the entire batch and have some to store in the freezer.
The how to.
For this recipe, you’ll need butter and margarine and shortening, sugar, salt, yeast, water, eggs, milk, and bread flour. I’m showing a chart below for the full recipe and for a half-recipe. I prefer the whole recipe because I like having extra ones in the freezer for later use.
Easy tip: I melt the butter and margarine in the microwave, then add the milk and mix it together. This cools the temperature of the butter/margarine so it will not kill the yeast.
Rolling out the butterhorns
Mix your dough, then divide into 8 sections. Roll each section into a circle, then brush the circle with melted butter or margarine. Using a pizza cutter (or a knife), cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
Beginning at the wide end, roll each wedge, leaving the end on the bottom.
Place the butterhorns onto a greased tray, and let them rise until double.
To freeze, put the butterhorns onto a tray and place in freezer for several hours. Then place the rolls into a freezer bag and put into the freezer. These are great for a Sunday lunch. Allow the rolls to thaw and rise while you are in church. They will be ready to pop into the oven when you get home.
|64 Rolls||32 Rolls|
|3 cups milk||1 1/2 cups milk|
|1 ½ cups sugar||¾ cup sugar|
|1 Tbsp. salt||1 ½ tsp. salt|
|½ cup water||¼ cup water|
|12 Tbsp. butter||6 Tbsp butter|
|12 Tbsp. margarine or shortening||6 Tbsp margarine or shortening|
|8 medium eggs||4 medium eggs|
|13 1/2 Cups bread flour||6 3/4 Cups bread flour|
Easy Homemade Butterhorns
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 medium eggs
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 level Tbsp. yeast
- 13 1/2 cups bread flour
- Melted margarine or butter
- Warm milk - do not boil.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and milk with some of the sugar.
- Add shortening, butter, and the rest of the sugar.
- Next, add salt, about 2 cups of flour and mix well.
- Then add eggs and mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour, a little at a time.
- Knead by hand or with mixer for 5-10 minutes
- Let dough rest for a few minutes, then divide into 8 pieces.
- On a floured surface, roll each piece into a circle.
- Brush the circle with melted margarine
- Using a pizza cutter (or a knife) cut into 8 pieces (like you would cut a pie)
- Beginning at the wide end, roll each piece up to the narrow end
- Make sure the end is on the bottom
- Place onto a greased tray and brush with melted butter or margarine.
- Let rise until double
- Bake in 350-375 oven for 14 minutes.