Delectable and Delicious
When you see this delectable chocolate cake, you’ll think it is difficult to make. It isn’t, especially if you make it a few days or a week ahead and freeze the cake. Then, the day before you want to serve it, slice it horizontally (while still partially frozen), mix up the filling, and put the four layers together. You can even make the filling a day ahead if you’d like, which decreases your assembly time again.
First off, you need to make a pot of coffee because you’ll be using a cup of hot coffee in this recipe. Then, while you’re sipping your own coffee, start up your mixer; you’ll be done in three minutes.
In addition to cocoa, baking powder and baking soda, you’ll need sugar, eggs, flour, vegetable oil, and milk. For the filling, break out the cream cheese and brown sugar; whip some real cream and vanilla and put it together. You’ll want some grated chocolate for garnish on the top. Your guests will come back for more – and more – and more.
You’ll need to assemble this cake at least eight hours before you serve it. But really, that only makes your last minute dinner preparations easier, because the dessert will already be done.
This cake recipe is originally from the Mennonite Country Style Recipes cookbook. The filling is a recipe I got from my Nebraska sister, who clipped it from a magazine years ago.
A Few Tips:
- For the whipped cream, place your bowl and beaters in the freezer (5-10 minutes) so they are frosty cold. It will help whip the cream faster.
- Use a serrated knife or dental floss to separate the cake in half horizontally.
- Separating the layers of the cake is easier to do if the cake is cold or partially frozen.
- You can shave off parts of both tops so that the cake will be flatter and not as lopsided. Your kids will be happy to eat those discarded pieces. 🙂
- Store chocolate shavings in a small container in the freezer; then when you’re ready to make another cake, they are ready to go.
A Few Photos:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ⅔ cup cocoa
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 2 Tablespoons grated sem-sweet chocolate
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour through cocoa) together in a bowl
- Add oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla, beating for two minutes
- Blend in hot coffee
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch layer pans or 9 x 13 inch pan
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes
- For cream filling, beat whipping cream until whipped
- Mix other ingredients together, then add to the cream cheese
- Cut both layers of cake in half horizontally.
- Layer: bottom of 1st cake, cream cheese filling; top of 1st cake; cream cheese filling;
- bottom of 2nd cake; cream cheese filling; top of 2nd cake; cream cheese filling.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.