The idea for this soup
My daughter (Sarah Beth) texted me the other day. “I’m getting ready to make a soup – wish you were here to do it for me,” the text said. Not to worry, I knew. She’d do fine on her own.
I texted back, “Send me photos and the recipe when you’re done and I’ll put it on my blog.” So she did.
“I rigged the recipe on my own,” she said when she sent me photos.
This means she threw a little of this in and a pinch of that, tasted it and added whatever else she had on hand. “If I had spinach, I probably would have added that. I just used what was in my fridge,” she told me. She also used chicken tortellini but thinks cheese tortellini would be good too.
Sarah Beth is like that. She comes home to visit (not often enough) and offers to fix a meal.
“Just tell me what you have on hand,” she says.
I tell her – and I step right out of the kitchen and let her have at it.
I can’t claim any credit, really. She’s got that natural ability to toss and stir, taste and season.
The how to tortellini soup
This recipe is pretty easy – and tasty. Easy to fix with what you have in your fridge. Try it. I’m sure you’ll like it. You’ll need peppers, carrots, chicken broth, butter, onion,Greek yogurt, milk, tortellini, and seasonings: thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Enjoy the creamy tortellini soup recipe – and adapt it any way you wish. She won’t mind – and neither will I.
- 3-4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 orange/red pepper
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1½ tp. thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. tortellini (chicken or cheese)
- Over medium heat, melt butter
- Saute/sweat the onion, pepper, and carrots
- Add seasonings
- Once vegetables are tender, add chicken broth and bring to a simmer
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Turn to med/low and add tortellini and cook until soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add yogurt and milk; stir to combine on low heat
- Add spinach with the yogurt and milk (optional)
- Heat through.
- Do not bring it to a boil.
- Serve and enjoy!