Creamy Cucumber Salad.
This cucumber salad is a great way to dress up garden cucumbers! There’s nothing like a cucumber fresh from the garden, washed, peeled and salted for summer flavor. This is cucumber season, so it’s time for this recipe again. I first posted it three years ago, so it’s about time to bring it around again, don’t you think?
If you want to spruce it up a little and add some variety to your menu, try this recipe. Serve it up in a glass bowl, for sure.
The How to
Make your own dressing in just a few minutes, slice (and/or peel) the cucumbers, and add the dressing. I think some extra pepper on the top adds just a little zing without making it hot.
You don’t need to add a lot of dressing to the cucumbers, so be careful to add just a little dressing so the cucumbers won’t be overloaded with dressing. Put the dish in the refrigerator and wait. You can always add more dressing when you’re ready to serve the cucumber salad. You’ll want to be really careful in how much dressing you add if you shred the cucumbers! That’s better than having the cucumbers swimming in the dressing.
If you choose to shred the cucumbers, you will need even less dressing, because the cucumbers make a liquid of their own. I’ve fixed it both ways and I can’t tell you which way I like it the best. It rather depends on the rest of the menu and my mood.
- Cucumbers - several cups sliced Optional: grate the cucumbers
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (I use less)
- 1 Tablespoon cream or milk
- Wash, peel (optional) and slice cucumbers and refrigerate.
- Mix all ingredients together, stirring until well blended.
- Season cucumbers with salt and pepper
- Add dressing - a few tablespoons at a time
- Refrigerator until just ready to serve
- Add more dressing if necessary, then season with salt and pepper as needed