This recipe for cornbread is a hearty recipe. It’s also quite filling!
You’ll need the ingredients one usually uses: cornmeal, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and baking powder. In addition, you’ll need yogurt and creamed corn.
I got this recipe from my friend Ron Miller – who came to a meeting bragging about his wife’s cornbread. He said he’d just had a piece and it was so good. Of course I had to have the recipe – which he gladly shared. His wife Judith got the idea to add creamed corn to the batter, and the recipe comes from some cookbook somewhere, way back when.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 small can creamed corn
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt
- Combine yogurt, oil, and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add creamed corn
- Combine yogurt mixture into dry mixture
- Stir until dry ingredients are moistened
- Pour into an 8-inch cast iron skillet or an 8-inch square pan. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until done.