This recipe for cornbread is a hearty recipe. It’s also quite filling!
You’ll need the ingredients one usually uses: cornmeal, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and baking powder. In addition, you’ll need yogurt and creamed corn.
I got this recipe from my friend Ron Miller – who came to a meeting bragging about his wife’s cornbread. He said he’d just had a piece and it was so good. Of course I had to have the recipe – which he gladly shared. His wife Judith got the idea to add creamed corn to the batter, and the recipe comes from some cookbook somewhere, way back when.
Cornbread with Yogurt and Creamed Corn
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 small can creamed corn 8.25 oz.
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt
- Combine yogurt, oil, and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add creamed corn
- Combine yogurt mixture into dry mixture
- Stir until dry ingredients are moistened
- Pour into an 8-inch cast iron skillet or an 8-inch square pan.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until done. Depending on the size corn can you use, it could take longer. The thicker your mixture, the longer it will take.