When it’s your birthday, you should be able to choose whatever you’d like for dessert, correct? The problem is that I have many favorites. I could make graham cracker pudding, Mom’s chocolate sheet cake, Apple pie, Cream Cheese Fruit Delight, or Sticky Toffee Pudding.
But since I love graham crackers, pudding, and chocolate, I think it will be Chocolate Eclair Dessert.
Anybody can make this because it’s so easy. Anybody can eat it, too – if you like pudding, graham crackers and chocolate.
This really is an easy recipe. You layer the pudding mixture with the graham crackers and then top it with the chocolate frosting. Oh, My Goodness. Is it ever good!
I only use Honey Maid graham crackers. It was one of our prenuptial agreements. Dave knew long before we were married that if I ever asked him to pick up Graham Crackers, there was only one brand for me. He has faithfully kept that agreement for over thirty-two years.
Our family was served this at our friend Bethany’s house, and it gave me a hankering to make this again. Like I said, since it’s my birthday, I get to choose. Bethany used vanilla pudding and when I made it, I used French vanilla.
You can substitute Cool Whip for the Dream Whip if you’d like. It’s something you’ll have on hand and it’s one less step in putting this dessert together, because the Dream Whip will need to be whipped into peaks.
Mix this up and refrigerate it for 24 hours before serving. Unless you’re in a hurry, of course.
- 1 lb. graham crackers - entire pieces
- 2 (3½ oz.) Vanilla or French Vanilla pudding. (Recipe calls for instant; I use cooked)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 packs Dream Whip, mixed according to directions OR 3-4 cups Cool Whip
- 5 Tbsp. cocoa and 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp softened butter (or margarine)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish.
- Line with crackers
- Mix pudding with milk and continue according to directions
- Blend dream whip according to package directions OR use cool whip and add to the pudding
- Spread half the pudding mixture over the crackers.
- Add a second layer of crackers on top of pudding
- Put the remainder of the pudding on top of the crackers
- Add a third layer of crackers
- REFRIGERATE for 2 hours, then put frosting on top of the third layer of crackers
- For FROSTING: beat ingredients together until smooth
- Layer on top of crackers
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving