I would call chicken pot pie a comfort food – wouldn’t you agree? We came across this recipe a few years back and adapted it quite a bit for the size of our family. The cream cheese and celery seed in the crust is what makes this pot pie unique. Chicken, mixed vegetables, and a Brulee round out the filling.
My daughter and I are quite a team. She makes the crust while I do the filling. She’s better at the crust than I am, and she thinks I make a mean filling.
If we hurry, together we can get this ready to go in the oven by the time the oven dings to let us know it is temperature-ready.
I’ve made a double batch of this and put one in the freezer, which works well. Homemade applesauce is a nice addition to this meal. Every one of our foster children has enjoyed this dish. So you know, considering how diverse these children are, it’s got to be a good chicken pot pie!
Sometimes I use my home canned beef in place of the chicken, substituting beef bouillon for the chicken bouillon. When I use chicken, I use the broth from the canned chicken and add water to make the correct amount. I also double the vegetables and add more chicken.
The photo shows an 9 x 11-inch casserole dish from Pampered Chef. The crust was 1.5 times the recipe, and the filling had (at least an extra cup of) vegetables as well as extra chicken. I usually thicken the sauce slowly and keep adding milk. It stretches the filling without adding flour. I added at least one more cup of milk to this recipe without adding flour and butter. I also add minced onion to the sauce as it is cooking.
In the photo, you’ll see that we forgot to put slits in the crust. That’s one reason why the top got a little browner than it usually does. The cream cheese and celery seed is what makes this crust! This recipe for chicken pot pie comes from Taste of Home. Find more great recipes at www.tasteofhome.com.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Pastry: 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons celery seed, 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed, 1/3 cup butter
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually stir in water, milk, and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes, or just simmer until it thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.
- Pastry Directions: Combine flour and celery seed in a bowl.
- Cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly.
- Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll two-thirds dough into a 12-in. square.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Roll out remaining dough and place on top.
- Flute edges and put slits in the top crust.
- Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.