This recipe for chicken fettuccine is a family favorite.
I came across it a few years ago when I was to bring a chicken dish to a Slabach family reunion. Several of us were assigned this responsibility, and it didn’t matter what we brought as long as it was a 9 x 12 pan of a chicken dish. When there are nearly fifty folks to feed, there’s a pretty sure guarantee the variety will please everyone’s palate without trouble. I assumed that others would bring chicken rice dishes or tetrazzini, and my husband told me to find something different than all the usual chicken dishes. So I did.
I found this chicken fettuccine recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook. [Find more great recipes at www.tasteofhome.com]. In addition to fettuccini noodles and chicken, you’ll need four different kinds of cheese for this recipe: Swiss, parmesan, mozzarella, and cream cheese.
This one became a keeper. Put this dish with a fresh garden salad and some French bread or garlic bread, and you’ve got a meal. Both children and adults claim this dish as a favorite, and nobody in my house complains if we’re having leftovers when chicken fettuccine is on the table.
I usually double (or triple or quadruple) this recipe and put one or two pans in the freezer for later use. If I’m a little short on any of the cheeses or cream, I don’t worry about it since I’m doubling the recipe. Throw in a little extra milk or some other cheese if you’d like. Once when I quadrupled the recipe, I used 24 oz. of cream cheese instead of 32 oz. Occasionally if I don’t have Swiss cheese, I’ve used Munster instead. I use my home-canned chicken for this, but sometimes I’ve used leftover grilled chicken or leftover chicken from another dish as well. (The link for home-canned chicken takes you to home-canned beef, but the directions are there for the chicken as well.)
Four Cheese Chicken Fettuccine
This recipe is a keeper. Make 2 pans and put one in the freezer. Guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser!
- 8 oz. fettuccine
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz. cream cheese cubed
- 4.5 oz. mushrooms - drained
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1-2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to directions, then drain.
- In a large kettle, combine soup, cream cheese, mushrooms, cream, butter and garlic powder.
- Add the cheeses, then cook and stir until melted
- Add the chicken
- Heat through
- Combine noodles and sauce
- Put into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish (I use a 9 x 12 casserole)
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the casserole
- Bake, covered for 25 min. at 350.
- Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes or until crumb topping is browned.