When someone tells me they’re bringing bean salad to a carry-in, I get excited. When that someone is Dave’s aunt, I get doubly-excited! Aunt Babe (her real name is Miriam but she’s Babe to her family) got this recipe from her oldest sister Esther, so I guess we could say it’s Aunt Esther’s recipe.
Have it your way bean salad
As with any recipe, you can tweak the beans or the amounts of other vegetables if there are some that you like better or best. Choose red or yellow peppers over green if you’d like more color. Nix the peppers if your family doesn’t care for them. Sliced onion instead of grated is an option if you prefer. Use canola or olive oil. This recipe is easy to put together and fits in with any summer salad or picnic.
- Note: all "cans" are 15-16 oz.
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can wax beans OR corn
- 1 can kidney beans
- ½ cup chopped green peppers
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ cup salad oil
- grated onion - or sliced onions
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Drain and rinse canned vegetables
- Mix beans and vegetables together
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and salad oil with salt and pepper
- Mix the beans and dressing together
- Chill until ready to serve