This is an easy go-to recipe for a large crowd or for something you need to fix ahead of time. Served with a side salad and green beans, the meal is an easy one for your family or for guests.
You can fix this ahead of time and put it in the freezer for a week or two down the road. It’s easy to fix two pans with this recipe: one for the day you make it and another one to go into the freezer or take to a neighbor.
You won’t be needing spaghetti sauce for this recipe. Instead, you’ll use canned tomatoes and tomato soup for your tomato seasoning.
Brown your hamburger with onions.
Add the tomato soup and let it simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar (optional).
I don’t worry about making the onions small because they will cook down with the frying and the baking.
Once the noodles are cooked, add your canned tomatoes and mushrooms.
Put noodle mixture in the bottom of the pan, then top with hamburger mixture and cheese. Repeat layers. Let it sit for a few hours at room temperature. Then bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- 2 lb. hamburger
- 6-8 medium onions
- 1 qt. tomatoes
- ¾ lb. thin spaghetti
- 2 cans tomato soup
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 large can mushrooms
- ¾ lb. shredded cheese (yellow)
- Brown hamburger and onions together.
- Drain hamburger
- Add soup and let simmer for a few minutes
- Season with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp. sugar
- Cook spaghetti in salt water about 9 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- Add canned tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Layer spaghetti mixtures, skillet mixture, and cheese
- Repeat, ending with cheese on top
- Alow to sit at room temperature for several hours
- Bake at 350 for 45 min.
- Can be frozen and used later.