This bacon and chicken alfredo with a homemade sauce is a keeper, and not just because I said so. I had five others around my table the night I concocted it, and everyone agreed they could eat it once a week. There are several variables here. For the pasta, you can use spaghetti, fettucini, bow ties, or regular egg noodles. I chose bow ties the first time I made it, and shells for the most recent menu.
I thought about fettucini noodles, but we’d just had four cheese chicken fettucini five days before, so I opened up the box of shells instead. Plus, my son was running to our house for supper and then running back (16 miles), so I wanted to give him something that was substantial for his run. He is training for another 100-mile race, so he needs those carbs.
When you’ve got some leftover fried bacon and some leftover chicken, add the two together to make this dish. One time I used bacon and some left-over turkey breast from Christmas (I had stored it in the freezer) and some leftover chicken in the fridge from the evening before. I also added peas. The second time, I just used some leftover chicken that was in the freezer. Either way, it’s bacon and chicken alfredo because those are the main ingredients!
I make my own alfredo sauce. Start with two to four tablespoons real butter. Don’t use any of that fake stuff; use the real thing. Melt the butter and then add one, two, or three cloves garlic. Stir the butter and garlic for one to three minutes until everyone starts asking if you’re making garlic bread for supper. Add one cup of heavy cream, salt, and pepper, stirring until it thickens. Then add more cream., allowing it to thicken some more. Last, add parmesan cheese – about 2 to 4 tablespoons or as much as you’d like.
If you are willing to be patient and give your sauce a little time, you don’t need to add any flour. The first time I made this, I served six people at my table. I used 2 Tablespoons butter and 12 oz. heavy cream. It thickened well on its own. So go ahead and give it a go. Tweak it to suit your fancy – and enjoy!
Bacon and Chicken Alfredo with Homemade Sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken and bacon leftovers or fried and drained
- Noodles - enough to serve 6-8 people; fettucini bow ties, shells, or whatever you choose
- 2 Tbsp. real butter
- 16 ounces cream OR milk
- Flour 1-2 Tbsp., optional
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- Minced onion or onion powder ) a tablespoon or two
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese - more or less to your taste
- Cut up leftover chicken and bacon, or cook chicken and fry up bacon, and drain
- Cook noodles according to package directions
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet/saucepan
- Add crushed garlic cloves and stir until clear
- OPTIONAL: add flour and stir until smooth
- Add half the cream and stir until it begins to thicken
- Add the remainder of the cream and stir some more as it thickens
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add parmesan cheese and stir until dissolved
- Add noodles, chicken, and bacon, mixing thoroughly
- Heat through and serve