Apple Oatmeal Bars
It’s a new recipe for me. On a whim, I tried this recipe. I had some extra apples that needed to be eaten or used up, and it’s just that time of year when apple-anything is good. This recipe is a keeper and I’ll be using it a lot!
There’s a crumb bottom – of which some crumbs are reserved for the top.
There’s a second layer – the apples.
The third layer is a sauce that is poured over the apples.
The fourth layer is the remaining crumbs.
Bake it at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until done. Serve warm or cold. Serve plain, with a glass of milk, or some cool whip or ice cream. Enjoy!
I found this recipe through Taste of Home. [Find more great recipes at www.tasteofhome.com].
- 3 cups flour
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ cups cold butter, divided
- 5-6 cups peeled apples, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the following in a bowl: flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking soda
- Add 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons butter - cut into mixture with pastry cutter or knife or fingers until youi have coarse crumbs
- Keep 2 cups for topping
- Put the rest of the crumbs in the bottom of a 9 x 12" greased pan
- Peel and slice apples and put them in layers on top of the crumbs
- Set aside.
- In saucepan, combine the following: sugar, cornstarch, water, vanilla, and 2 Tbsp. butter
- Bring to a boil and stir for about 2 minutes or until it is thick and bubbly
- Spread sauce over the apples
- Top with the remaining crumbs
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned