This apple cake is actually a cross between a cake and a bread. It’s the perfect dish to take when you’ve been asked to bring a finger food. Not too rich and not too sweet, it blends both fruit and protein into a moist cake.
We served this recently at a church Christmas dinner to go along with our theme. It was indeed a hit!
The recipe makes two cakes, so you can serve one and freeze the other for a later time. Be sure not to overbake or it will be dry.
- 3 cups apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (Golden Delicious or Granny Smith recommended)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (I added a little more)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Turbinado sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- Combine the following: flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, oil, and vanilla
- Add eggs, one at a time. Stir to combine.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir.
- Fold in apples and walnuts (the batter will be thick)
- Grease 2 loaf pans and spread half of the batter into each pan.
- Sprinkle the tops of each loaf with a little sugar
- Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for about one hour, or until toothpick in the center comes out clean.
This post contains affiliate links. Your purchase through an affiliate link brings no additional charge to you. I may receive compensation from purchases made through links on My Windowsill. To learn more about affiliate links, you can click here.